Friday, May 2, 2008

A Few Final Comments: The Path Ahead


"Morals are open to being altered by literature; so that we find in practice that what is “objectionable” in literature is merely what the present generation is not used to. It is a commonplace that what shocks one generation is accepted quite calmly by the next."
~T.S. Eliot, "Religion and Literature"

“Literature celebrates the health of a culture; it reveals its depth and richness. …[and] when culture is not healthy, literature has a special utility in making a diagnosis of the situation, [although] a sound diagnosis of our condition, though it is necessary to the finding of a proper remedy, is not the same thing as the remedy.”
~Cleanth Brooks, "Community, Religion, and Literature"

Before you read this post, please read my post from May 1. That was supposed to be my final blog, but as you can tell, I'm definitely not done with the topic of literary criticism, and would very much like to find some answers to all the questions that have been raised for me throughout this semester (which really are more than you can begin to think of... call it crisis of reading, crisis of being a human, really, whatever you will...). When I was writing my critical essay, I read a lot of outside sources to adequately try to understand my topic (in a nutshell, "Do Christians have a responsibility to experience that which immediately seems to violate their standard moral values?"), and the topic was as much for my own necessity as it was for the class assignment. This question has been rolling around in my mind throughout this entire semester, and even though I argued for an experience of these things, I am still not done with the topic and want to pursue it further some day. But especially in light of what I wrote yesterday, I decided that I wanted to post a final blog dealing with these two quotes above, because I think they speak to my situation (and maybe some of your own) very well.

When I first read the quote by Eliot, I was taken aback. So simple in its profundity, I had never even realized that this was the truth. But look back at history (and since I am also a music major, I will start with that): Mozart and Beethoven were "crass" and a disgrace to the musical world. No one wanted to hear their music. Beethoven was even banned in many places, including the home, because his music supposedly "made women do things they shouldn't do" (I think your imagination can figure out the rest). But it didn't stop there. I remember my mother telling me stories about how her father told her to turn "that trash" of the Beatles off... seems ridiculous, doesn't it? The three people / groups I have just listed are now seen as the geniuses of the music world. And now, we spend our time trying to emulate them, keeping their music alive, etc. etc. And they were despised by the older generations when they first started out. It was the same with literature, although I do not know that as well as I do music (which I plan on changing quite soon). And it's the same with literature, music, theatre, movies, etc., now. The works of art that the older generation says is "bringing this country down" (yes, I have heard many people say that) are the very things that will be seen as masterpieces by subsequent generations. That's just the way history goes. But then you wonder, are our morals truly being altered by art? Are we necessarily losing our morality when we accept new forms of art? I would never in a million years call Beethoven's music an opposition to my Christian beliefs. In fact, his music not only is in line with anything I would believe as a Christian, but also lets see a glimpse of the glory of God (through his harmonies, his passions, etc... just listen. You'll understand). But what about music or literature today that uses foul language, sexual references (didn't Shakespeare do that too?), and anything else that seems to be offensive to our Christian morality? If we accept that, then are we losing our morality?

I am still thinking about this question, but I think Brooks' quotation above speaks to this topic, or at least a small portion of this topic, when he talks about literature (or any art for that matter) in making a diagnosis of an unhealthy situation. Yes, literature celebrates humanity in all its richness and beauty (we are, after all, the human creations of God Almighty), but it also can diagnose where it's going wrong... if we are astute enough to see that. And that means we have to be critical readers to see where the author is making a commentary on society, or if they are just perpetuating the wrongs. That, I think, involves a lot of prayer and humility on our part as we approach art (literature, music, visual art, etc.) today. Because many artists
are actually writing commentaries on the wrongs in our society (and not viewed very highly because of it... the truth does hurt sometimes), even though they may be doing it in "covert ways" so as not to offend from the outset. We have to be discerning (again, with much prayer and humility) of what is a true diagnosis and what is only perpetuating the evil in society (we can't deny that there is evil...). But we can learn to read charitably, as Alan Jacobs promotes... as he says, you must seek to learn the whole truth, not just the good: "If you love a writer, if you depend upon the drip-feed of his intelligence, if you want to pursue him and find him- despite edicts to the contrary- then it's impossible to know too much. You seek the vices as well" (Julian Barnes, "Flaubert's Parrot" as quoted in Alan Jacobs).

In the end, as I have stated before, I am nowhere near finished in my study of literary criticism. Maybe no one else was as profoundly affected as I was... but then again, you take classes to figure out what you like sometimes. Although it was often providing many more questions than answers, Literary Criticism has made me a new reader, ready to see where art diagnoses humanity's faults or celebrates its richness. And it has set me up to be a reader who is informed by my Christian beliefs, even when I can't readily see where these studies will take me.

Again, thanks for listening. It's been a great three months, and really, the journey is just beginning....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An exceptionally good post, Michelle. Thanks for your work on this blog.